Indian citizens who plan to visit Vietnam may find it easy to obtain a Vietnam visa, since currently, beside the traditional way to apply for a visa at the Vietnam Embassy, they have another option for visa application: getting a visa on arrival.
What is visa on arrival?
Visa on arrival is is an alternative way for Vietnam visa application beside the traditional way of obtaining visa at the Vietnam Embassy. It is the visa picked up at the arrival airport instead of being picked up at the Vietnam Embassy in the traditional way. To get visa on arrival, the travelers are required to apply online for a letter called visa approval letter which is issued by the Vietnam Immigration Airport as an official permission allowing them to get on flight and then get visa stamped at the arrival airport. Without this approval letter, the travelers will not be allowed to get on flight to get visa stamped at the airport (Unless they have a visa applied at the Vietnam Embassy or their nationalities are included in the Vietnam visa exemption list).
Please keep in mind that Vietnam visa on arrival is applicable to air travelers to Vietnam only.
Visa on arrival is 100% legitimate. Although your visa application package is submitted to a travel agent and you receive a visa approval letter via email from that agent, your visa approval letter is issued by the Vietnam Immigration Department, not the travel agent. During the time you wait to get the visa approval letter, the travel agent has worked with the Vietnam Immigration Department, submitting your application package to the Department for processing and granting your visa approval letter, receiving the approval letter from the Department and then send it to your registered email. So once you have your visa approval letter, you are ensured to have visa stamped onto your passport if you have full required documents (visa approval letter, passport, 02 passport-sized photos, Vietnamese visa application form and stamping fee).
Especially, the Article 6, Chapter III of the Ordinance No. 24/2000/PL- UBTVQH 10 dated April 28, 2000 on Entry, Exit and Residence of Foreigners in Vietnam specifies that foreigners who enter Vietnam for visit under programs organized by international tour enterprises of Vietnam will have to deal with a travel agent who will forward their visa applications over to the immigration office.
- The online visa application process is rather simple.
- Visa on arrival saves time of visa applicants – especially those who need a visa urgently or those who live far from the Vietnam Embassy.
- You don’t need to send off your passport or go to Vietnam embassies in person; just provide a scan (electronic copy) of your original passport.
- Visa on arrival is applicable for those traveling to Vietnam by air only
- It may take up to 15 – 20 minutes to get visa stamp at your arrival airport due to long queues
- You may find your name on the visa approval letter along with names of unknown people – and the same goes for those people